Home > Articles > CIS Football > Queen's still second-ranked football team in Canada
Queen's still second-ranked football team in Canada
Posted: September 3rd, 2013 @ 6:29pm
Queen's Golden Gaels retained their spot in the weekly Canadian Interuniversity Sport national ranking ofÂ football teams, released today.
The Gaels, 31-24 winners Monday over No. 6-ranked McMaster, remain second, behind Laval, in the poll of 20 university football reporters from across the country. Laval defeated McGill 32-8.
The other three Ontario University Athletics teams in the Top 10 also hold the same positions in this week's ranking as they did last week: Western at No. 4 after a 71-4 win over Carleton; McMaster at No. 6, despite their first loss to Queen's in four years; and Guelph at No. 7, after its last-minute 24-23 win over Windsor.
Bishop's, a 28-27 winner over No. 8 Sherbrooke Saturday, is the only newcomer to the Top 10, debuting at No. 10. Thanks to that loss, Sherbrooke fell out of the national list.
The big climber was Montreal, from No. 5 to No. 3, after a 48-3 win over Concordia. Calgary fell two spots, from No. 3 to No. 5, despite a 41-31 win over British Columbia.
As was the case last week, there are no teams from the Atlantic conference ranked. The Atlantic University Sport schedule begins this weekend.
The national Top 10, with previous rank, record, last week's result and next opponent:
1. Laval (1), 1-0, beat McGill 32-8; next: Saturday, at Sherbrooke.
2. Queen's (2), 2-0, beat No. 6 McMaster 31-24; next: Saturday, vs. Windsor.
3. Montreal (5), 1-0, beat Concordia 48-3; next: Friday, vs. No. 10 Bishop's.
4. Western (4), 2-0, beat Carleton 71-4; next: Saturday, at No. 6 McMaster.
5. Calgary (3), 1-0, beat British Columbia 41-31; next: Friday, at Regina.
6. McMaster (6), 1-1, lost 31-24 to No. 2 Queen's; next: Saturday, vs. No. 4 Western.
7. Guelph (5), 2-0, beat Windsor 24-23; next: Saturday, Sept. 14, at Toronto.
8. Saskatchewan (9), 1-0, beat Regina 40-33; next: Saturday, at No. 9 Manitoba.
9. Manitoba (10), 1-0, beat Alberta 65-41; next: Saturday, vs. No. 8 Saskatchewan.
10. Bishop's (NR), 1-0, beat No. 8 Sherbrooke 28-27; next: Friday, at No. 3 Montreal.
Looking for a specific article, person, event, or subject?