Home > Articles > CIS Football > Queen's hangs onto No. 3 spot in football ranking
Queen's hangs onto No. 3 spot in football ranking
Posted: September 24th, 2013 @ 10:38pm
Queen's Golden Gaels remain the No. 3 university football team in Canada this week, as they prepare for their game Saturday in London against the second-ranked Western Mustangs.
In the weekly list of the nation's Top 10 teams released Tuesday by Canadian Interuniversity Sport, none of the top seven teams in the weekly poll of the Football Reporters of Canada changed its position.
Laval retained the No. 1 spot for the fifth week in a row with its 16-9 win over No. 4-ranked Montreal Sunday. Before a crowd of 16,210 in Quebec City the rouge et or overcame a 9-4 halftime deficit to extend a nine-year-old home winning streak to 60 games.
Montreal, by virtue of losing to the only team to be ranked No. 1 this year, retained its fourth-place position. Calgary, Guelph and Saskatchewan similarly held their spots.
Bishop's was the big climber in the ranking this week, moving up two spots to No. 8, even though its three wins have come against teams that are a collective 1-7. After its loss to Calgary, Manitoba slipped two spots to No. 10.
The only team in the Top 10 with a record below .500, McMaster, 2-3, held steady at No. 9.
For the fourth time in five polls, no team from the Atlantic conference finds itself ranked among the league's elite.
This week's Top 10, with previous rank, record, last week's result and next game:
1. Laval (1), 4-0, beat No. 4 Montreal 16-9; next: Saturday, at No. 8 Bishop's.
2. Western (2), 5-0, beat Wilfrid Laurier 45-24; next: Saturday, vs. No. 3 Queen's.
3. Queen's (3), 4-0, beat Ottawa 36-21; next: Saturday, at No. 2 Western.
4. Montreal (4), 3-1, lost 16-9 to No. 1 Laval; next: Sunday, vs. Sherbrooke.
5. Calgary (5), 4-0, beat No. 8 Manitoba 48-24; next: Saturday, at Alberta.
6. Guelph (6), 4-0, beat No. 9 McMaster 24-22; next: Saturday, at Waterloo.
7. Saskatchewan (7), 3-1, beat Alberta 39-17; next: Saturday, at British Columbia.
8. Bishop's (10), 3-1, beat Concordia 31-18; next: Saturday, vs. No. 1 Laval.
9. McMaster (9), 2-3, lost 24-22 to No. 6 Guelph; next: Saturday, Oct. 5, vs. Waterloo.
10. Manitoba (8), 2-2, lost 48-24 to No. 5 Calgary; next: Saturday, vs. Regina.
Looking for a specific article, person, event, or subject?