Home > Articles > CIS Football > Gaels hold fast at No. 5 in national football poll
Gaels hold fast at No. 5 in national football poll
Posted: October 9th, 2013 @ 1:07am
Queen's Golden Gaels remain the fifth-ranked university football team in Canada, according to this week's Canadian Interuniversity Sport listing.
The Gaels, who many believe were fortunate to escape their Saturday game with the 1-6 Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks with a 40-34 overtime victory, were part of the status quo among the nation's top five teams, as voted by members of the University Football Reporters of Canada.
The top four teams all remain undefeated after play on the weekend, including the Western Mustangs, 7-0, who are No. 1 for the second week in a row. The Mustangs received 20 first-place votes, while the No. 2-ranked Laval rouge et or, 6-0, received the other 10. Calgary and Guelph, both 6-0, follow.
The other Ontario University Athletics team in the Top 10 is McMaster, which held its position at No. 9.
The big gainer was Montreal, which moved up one spot to No. 6, while the big loser was Saskatchewan, which the panel punished for giving up 18 points in the second half of a 24-12 loss to Calgary by dropping it one spot to No. 7.
New to the Top 10 this week is Windsor, which, despite a 51-23 loss to Western, supplanted Manitoba at No. 10, after the Bisons lost for the second time in three weeks, this time to British Columbia.
The Top 10, with previous rank, record, points received in balloting, last week's result and next opponent:
1. Western (1), 7-0, 290 points, beat Windsor 51-23; next: Saturday, Oct. 19 vs. York.
2. Laval (2), 6-0, 280 points, beat Concordia 65-9; next: Sunday, Oct. 20, vs. Sherbrooke.
3. Calgary (3), 6-0, 233 points, beat No. 6 Saskatchewan 24-12, next: Friday, Oct. 18, vs. Regina.
4. Guelph (4), 6-0, 212 points, beat York 33-7; next: Friday, at Carleton.
5. Queen's (5), 5-1, 202 points, beat Wilfrid Laurier 40-34 in overtime; next: Friday, at Waterloo.
6. Montreal (7), 4-2, 138 points, beat Sherbrooke 30-24; next: Saturday, Oct. 19, at McGill.
7. Saskatchewan (6), 4-2, 119 points, lost 24-12 to No. 3 Calgary; next: Friday, Oct. 18, vs. Manitoba.
8. Bishop's (8), 4-2, 97 points, beat McGill 30-29; next: Saturday, Oct. 19 at Concordia.
9. McMaster (9), 3-3, 53 points, beat Waterloo 66-3; next: Saturday, at Wilfrid Laurier.
10. Windsor (NR), 4-3, 20 points, lost 51-23 to No. 1 Western; next: Saturday, Oct. 19, at Ottawa.
Looking for a specific article, person, event, or subject?