sportkingston - The authoritative source for Golden Gaels football and Kingston Area high school sports

sportkingston Staff

Claude Scilley
Brought To You By

Kingston Paint & Decorating
DCSun Internet Technologies
Thank You To All Our Generous Supporters!
We Need Your Help Too!
Help Support This Site
Site Information

About This Site

Contact Us

Home > Articles > High School Sports > Frontenac regains winning touch; Sydenham improves to 2-0 with win over Holy Cross

Frontenac regains winning touch; Sydenham improves to 2-0 with win over Holy Cross

Posted: September 25th, 2014 @ 10:56pm


His team is still young, Mike Doyle says. "We're still making mistakes out there."

The Frontenac Falcons, however, are back to their winning ways.

Capitalizing on some big plays Thursday afternoon, the Falcons defeated the Ernestown Eagles 28-1 in Kingston Area Secondary Schools Athletic Association senior football play at Frontenac.

The game brought Frontenac back to .500, after the Falcons opened the season by losing to Sydenham, their first loss in KASSAA play in almost three years.

Characterizing the mistakes of which he spoke as "mistakes of enthusiasm," the Falcons coach said his players responded well to that defeat.

"We're still a little on edge out there, there's still some maturity to (be gained)," Doyle said, "but there's no shortage of talent and heart. We just need to relax a little bit and see the game better."

On a brilliant, sunny autumn day, the Falcons scored one touchdown in each quarter, and they benefited from a couple of big plays, as quarterback Rob Magee completed passes that went for touchdowns of 60 and 75 yards, to Connor O'Neil and Carter Matheson.

Tyson Losier scored the other two Frontenac touchdowns, both along the ground.

The Falcons' defence held for the most part, and kept the Ernestown offence from getting close to scoring range.

"The defence really matured a lot today," Doyle said. "We started playing better positional football, and they were on the field a lot. We didn't have a lot of sustained drives, so we counted on our defence to shut them down and they did.

"(Ernestown's) a good team, a lot of enthusiasm, a lot of good, tough kids on that team, but they didn't get a big play."

Two Falcons stood out: interior defensive linemen Liam Haig and Dillon Wisteard.

"They really controlled the middle," Doyle said. "(Ernestown) got the edge on us a couple of times but the halfbacks started playing better in the second half, they started to turn the runs back to the inside."

With the defeat, the Eagles fell to 0-2.

In Thursday's other game, the Sydenham Golden Eagles became the first team to get to 2-0 with a 30-21 win over the visiting Holy Cross Crusaders.

Playing at McLellan Field in Sydenham, the home team scored first, on a pass from quarterback Dylan Fisher to Mike Bashall, but the lead would change hands three times before halftime. Holy Cross punched it in after a long run to take an 8-6 lead before the Golden Eagles capped a decent drive with a touchdown run by Brodie Latimer.

As the second quarter drew to a close, Sydenham prepared to punt near midfield but the ball was blocked by Crusaders defensive lineman Jonah Johnston. The ball went off Johnston, several yards downfield, from where he scooped it up and carried into the Sydenham end zone, giving Holy Cross a 15-13 lead at the intermission.

The Crusaders, 45-0 winners over Bayridge in their season opener, mounted a nice drive to start the second half but they fumbled near the Sydenham 20-yard line.

The turnover proved pivotal, as Sydenham scored on three straight possessions, first with a field goal by Bashall, then a touchdown from Kurtis MacComish. Playing his first game of the season, MacComish made a nice play to reach over a defender to catch the pass from Fisher. He then shed the defender and dashed 30 yards to the end zone.

Early in the fourth quarter, Bashall caught his second touchdown pass of the game. He later added a single point on a missed field goal as Sydenham took a 30-15 lead.

Holy Cross completed scoring when Jeremy Pendergast, replacing injured quarterback Colin Walker, hit Ian McLatchie with a touchdown pass with 17 seconds remaining in the game.

"It was a really good game. The first half was very tight," Sydenham coach Mike Love said. "(In the second half) our defence stiffened up a little bit and the fumble recovery helped, after a pretty good Holy Cross drive."

Play resumes Thursday when Napanee, 0-2, hosts Holy Cross and the KC-QE Combines, 1-0, gather to play at Regi, where the Panthers are 1-1.

Related Articles:

Support sportkingston

Thank You To All Our Generous Supporters!
We Need Your Help Too!
Help Support This Site
Follow sportkingston

Follow Us On Twitter
Follow Us On Twitter
Recent Stories

He coached young men, not just football players
All done
Queen's athletes win major volleyball awards
To buy or not to buy
QE splits two games at EOSSAA single-A basketball
KC downs Frontenac in EOSSAA basketball final
Weekend defeats send Gaels to preliminary playoff round
Queen's to host men's basketball playoff Wednesday
High school volleyball matches tonight at Regi
EOSSAA will try again to play basketball Tuesday

Amateur Sport



CIS Football

Cross Country


Field hockey


Frontenacs 50th

Grenadiers Football

High School Sports


Intercollegiate Sport

Junior Hockey

Kingston Kings


Napanee Express


Pan Am Games

Queen's football

RMC Looking Back





Today In Jr. Hockey Playoff History

Track and field



Looking for a specific article, person, event, or subject?

Management Login

Powered By FlexCMS
Powered By FlexCMS