sportkingston - The authoritative source for Golden Gaels football and Kingston Area high school sports

sportkingston Staff

Claude Scilley
Brought To You By
Kingston Paint & Decorating
DCSun Internet Technologies
Thank You To All Our Generous Supporters!
We Need Your Help Too!
Help Support This Site
Site Information

About This Site

Contact Us

Home > Articles > Soccer > Kingston teams remain winless in OUA soccer play

Kingston teams remain winless in OUA soccer play

Posted: September 8th, 2015 @ 2:27am

Four games into their season, the Queen’s Golden Gaels remain winless after they and the Ryerson Rams played to a scoreless draw Sunday in an Ontario University Athletics women’s soccer game at Miklas-McCarney Field.

The tie was the second of the weekend for Queen’s, which battled the Toronto Blues to a 1-1 standoff Saturday afternoon.

In the Ryerson game, the two goalkeepers, Ryerson’s Alex Armstrong and Michalla Frawley of Queen’s, were called to make just four and three saves, respectively. The tie left the Gaels 0-1-3, while Ryerson left town 1-1-1.

On Saturday, the Gaels spotted the visiting Blues an early one-goal lead before Sarah Nixon came off the bench to score her first intercollegiate goal, on a shot from the left side of the 18-yard box, in the game’s 33rd minute. The second half was scoreless.

Madison Tyrell made four saves in the Queen’s goal, while Toronto keeper Sara Pertucci made eight saves for the Blues.

Across town, Toronto remained undefeated Sunday with a 2-1 win over the Royal Military College Paladins. RMC opened its season Saturday by dropping a 1-0 decision to Ryerson.

Playing on Navy Bay field, Nicki Parkes scored twice for Toronto, once in each half. Less than a minute after her second tally, Monika Pinto-Lee replied for RMC, but the Paladins could not gain the equalizer.

A goal in the 68th minute of Saturday’s game spoiled the shutout bid of Paladins goalkeeper Alexandra Hogg, who made 11 saves in the losing cause.

In men’s play, a late penalty shot lifted No. 8-ranked Ryerson into a 1-1 draw Sunday with Queen’s, which surrendered two early goals and dropped its home opener Saturday 3-0 to Toronto.

Against the Rams, Tonko Bacelic scored on a rebound midway through the second half to put Queen’s ahead, but after Kevin Mastri, in a bid to prevent a goal, blocked a shot with his hand, Ryerson was awarded a penalty shot, which Raheem Rose converted into the game-tying goal.

The Rams continued to press but they were denied the go-ahead goal by Gaels goalkeeper Kyle Lanzinger.

RMC, meanwhile, dropped its first two games of the season, 3-1 Sunday to Toronto and 3-0 Saturday to Ryerson.

As they did against Queen’s, the Blues jumped to an early two-goal lead, one of them an own-goal by RMC, and they led 3-0 when RMC’s Daniel Cruz broke the shutout with a goal in the game’s 63rd minute.

Related Articles:

Support sportkingston

Thank You To All Our Generous Supporters!
We Need Your Help Too!
Help Support This Site
Follow sportkingston

Follow Us On Twitter
Follow Us On Twitter
Recent Stories

He coached young men, not just football players
All done
Queen's athletes win major volleyball awards
To buy or not to buy
QE splits two games at EOSSAA single-A basketball
KC downs Frontenac in EOSSAA basketball final
Weekend defeats send Gaels to preliminary playoff round
Queen's to host men's basketball playoff Wednesday
High school volleyball matches tonight at Regi
EOSSAA will try again to play basketball Tuesday

Amateur Sport



CIS Football

Cross Country


Field hockey


Frontenacs 50th

Grenadiers Football

High School Sports


Intercollegiate Sport

Junior Hockey

Kingston Kings


Napanee Express


Pan Am Games

Queen's football

RMC Looking Back





Today In Jr. Hockey Playoff History

Track and field



Looking for a specific article, person, event, or subject?

Management Login

Powered By FlexCMS
Powered By FlexCMS