Fourteen athletes have been selected as finalists for the Kingston’s amateur athlete of the year, the local Kiwanis Club has announced.
• Rob Asselstine, cross country running
• Brittany Benn, rugby
• Matt Brash, baseball
• Will Crothers, rowing
• Cole Horsman, track and field
• Lacey Knox, basketball
• Amanda Leveille, hockey
• Ron Leyenhorst, cycling
• Cameron Linscott, cross-country running
• Branna MacDougall, cross-country running
• Brogan MacDougall, cross-country running
• Jonathan Vecchio, wrestling
• Natalie Vecchio, wrestling
• Jenny Wright, basketball
As well, the Kiwanis Club will be honouring two men as builders, Steve Boyd, a track and cross-country coach, and Ian Edmunds, an official in many sports.
This year’s winner of the Gus Marker Trophy as Kingston’s amateur athlete of the year will be named at the 36th annual Kiwanis Amateur Sports Awards banquet, to be held Thursday, Feb. 4, at the Ambassador Hotel. The meet and greet begins at 6 p.m., with dinner at 7.
Last year’s winner of the award was golfer Augusta James.
Tickets, $45 apiece, may be purchased from Kent Winterstein, Suite 101 in the La Salle Mews, or at Marc F. Raymond Opticians, 324 King Street East.