sportkingston - The authoritative source for Golden Gaels football and Kingston Area high school sports

sportkingston Staff

Claude Scilley
Brought To You By
DCSun Internet Technologies
Kingston Paint & Decorating
Thank You To All Our Generous Supporters!
We Need Your Help Too!
Help Support This Site
Site Information

About This Site

Contact Us

Home > Articles > Lacrosse > Kings drop third game in a row

Kings drop third game in a row

Posted: May 17th, 2013 @ 12:21am

Connor van Ryn's fifth goal of the game, with just two minutes remaining in the third period, lifted the Whitby Warriors to a 12-11 win over the Kingston Kings in an Ontario Junior C Lacrosse League game Thursday night at Centre 70.

The defeat, Kingston's third in a row, dropped the Kings' early season record to 1-3. Whitby's win was the first for the Warriors, now 1-1.

The game started badly for Kingston, as the Kings fell behind 3-0 before the game was seven minutes old. They had taken two penalties and Whitby had scored two power-play goals.

A goal by Kyle Aylesworth midway through the period stemmed the tide, however, and by the time the first period ended the Kings had clawed their way into a 4-4 tie. Three goals in the first five minutes of the second period put Kingston comfortably ahead, and they led 9-6 with less than two minutes to play in the second period when Whitby scored a power-play goal.

It was the third game in a row that a Kingston penalty late in the second period led to a pivotal goal for the opponent.

Another power-play goal early in the third period cut the deficit to one, then after Kingston scored to restore the two-goal lead, Whitby's Zack Lysyk scored three times in a span of three and a half minutes as the Warriors forged an 11-10 lead.

Zach Masterson's fourth goal of the game, scored unassisted at 16:28 after he stripped the ball from a Whitby player, tied the game but the Kings couldn't capitalize on a Whitby unsportsmanlike conduct penalty called after the goal was scored. Instead, van Ryn scored the go-ahead goal while the Warriors were shorthanded.

The Kings, though they had possession and called timeout with 29.3 seconds left, couldn't manage a shot on goal.

Fernandes, with two, Tyler Jackson and Tyler Antram scored the other Whitby goals.

In a career-best performance, Aylesworth had five goals and an assist for the Kings. In addition to Masterson's career-best four goals - two of which were scored while the Kings were shorthanded - Haneh Brant scored twice for Kingston.

The Kings are idle until next Thursday, when they will host the Gloucester Griffins, 8 p.m., at Centre 70.
Related Articles:

Support sportkingston

Thank You To All Our Generous Supporters!
We Need Your Help Too!
Help Support This Site
Follow sportkingston

Follow Us On Twitter
Follow Us On Twitter
Recent Stories

He coached young men, not just football players
All done
Queen's athletes win major volleyball awards
To buy or not to buy
QE splits two games at EOSSAA single-A basketball
KC downs Frontenac in EOSSAA basketball final
Weekend defeats send Gaels to preliminary playoff round
Queen's to host men's basketball playoff Wednesday
High school volleyball matches tonight at Regi
EOSSAA will try again to play basketball Tuesday

Amateur Sport



CIS Football

Cross Country


Field hockey


Frontenacs 50th

Grenadiers Football

High School Sports


Intercollegiate Sport

Junior Hockey

Kingston Kings


Napanee Express


Pan Am Games

Queen's football

RMC Looking Back





Today In Jr. Hockey Playoff History

Track and field



Looking for a specific article, person, event, or subject?

Management Login

Powered By FlexCMS
Powered By FlexCMS