Tim Gillespie of Kingston posted the best time among local runners at the 119th Boston Marathon Monday.
Gillespie, 37, completed the historic 42.195-kilometre course in 2 hours, 53 minutes, 33 seconds, and finished 1,329th in the international field of more than 30,000.
Leslie Reade, 44, of Sydenham was the top Kingston-area woman. She finished 1,534th among the 13,751 women in the field in 3:24:10, more than two and a half minutes faster—and more than 100 positions higher—than she finished last year.
Besides Gillespie, Gregory Lemoine, Robby Breadner, Randy Zabukovec, Dale Engen, Mark Allen, Jeremy Faran and Jeffrey McCue, all of Kingston, finished in the top third of the men’s field of 16,500.
At 2,909th, Louise De Lannoy also finished in the top third of the women’s field.
Lelisa Desisa of Ethiopia, who won the terrorist-bombed race of 2013, was first across the line Monday, in 2:09:17, 31 seconds ahead of countryman Yemane Adhane Tsegay. In the women’s race, the top three runners were in a dead heat at the 40-kilometre mark, and Caroline Roticha of Kenya prevailed in a sprint to the wire by four seconds over Mare Dibaba of Ethiopia, winning in 2:24:55.
Local finishers of the 119th Boston Marathon, with hometown, age, time and overall finishing position:
• Tim Gillespie, Kingston, 37, 2 hours, 53 minutes, 33 seconds; 1,329th
• Gregory Lemoine, Kingston, 38, 3:06:59; 3,991st
• Robby Breadner, Kingston, 48, 3:09:33; 4,543rd
• Randy Zabukovec, Kingston, 45, 3:09:41; 4,573rd
• Dale Engen, Kingston, 47, 3:15:55; 5,990th
• Mark Allen, Kingston, 43, 3:16:14, 6,058th
• Jeremy Feran, Kingston, 28, 3:16:30; 6,122nd
• Jeffrey McCue, Kingston, 31, 3:17:00; 6232nd
• Simon Sukstorf, North York (ex-RMC), 53, 3:21:50; 7,489th
• Leslie Reade, Sydenham, 44, 3:24:10; 8,235th (1,534th among women)
• Jason Lloyd, Marysville, 40, 3:24:19; 8,281st
• Scott Duggan, Kingston, 45, 3:30:40; 10,358th
• Louise De Lannoy, Kingston, 27, 3:32:453; 11,055th (2,909th among women)
• Doris Jabs, Kingston, 44, 3:45:58; 15,202nd (5,342nd among women)
• Sandra Sukstorf, North York (ex-RMC), 51, 3:56:57; 18,203rd (7,194th among women)